Sunday 11 November 2018

Another glass of diesel, Mr Wallas?

Maybe not. I haven't ever had a glass of warm Dettol but I bet it tastes better than Heavy Oil....

 This afternoon I had yet another go at getting the Wallas to fire up. Wasted my time but not totally, I guess, as I've ruled out the fuel line as an issue! With the fuel line now plumbed into the main tank, I gave it a good sucking and received the predictable tasty mouthwash. Nice.

 As we'd planned, today centred on the Remembrance event at Roseisle and Findhorn Bay.
There was a lot going on, the single track access road was jammed with traffic so we walked the last mile to avoid the inevitable faff of trying to get out after it was all over. This avoided the embarrassment of admitting that our promised "NAAFI Wagon" refreshment van wasn't going to be presented as planned.


 The event itself was well attended and well worth the effort of getting to the beach. Very moving and, in our experience, quite unique.

Once home, I decided to re-attack the Wallas problem. I had misgivings about the routing of the fuel line - that over-the-top curve... It really shouldn't make a difference to the fuel feed, but we're clutching at straws now.

In desperation, I dismantled the hob housing and re-routed the fuel line so it had a pretty much straight run from the tank to the pump. 

 With the panel loosened and tie-wraps cut, I could remove the filter and re-route the inlet hose. This hasn't made any difference to the line of the hose into the pump but allows me the extra length to connect...
 ..the two ends together through the filter.
This required some more scrabbling around under the wing, dirt in my eyes and diesel in my hair. Joy.

To achieve this I had to remove the storage box, so I was grateful to myself for having made this easy. The feed for the fuel line is right behind the box. This would be the "natural" vertical position for the filter, but it's impossible to monitor for particles or, as we are now, checking for flow.
 With everything reconnected, we had another try. Didn't work. In fact, the filter wouldn't fill at all, hence my attempts to help it along with a good old fashioned suck. No doubt that the other end of the hose is in the right place, anyway. I can still taste it...and smell it too. The joy of facial hair! This is frustrating because the filter filled quickly during the last test and the issue seemed to be the "flameout" condition. Now there doesn't seem to be any draw from the pump.

I think I can hear the pump working but there's no indication that it's having any effect. While pondering this as I put everything back together, I noticed that one of the clamps holding the fuel line to the filter was bigger than it ought to be. 

Not a great photo as it was getting dark, but the lowest clip is clearly too big.
Three of them are correct and one won't tighten as much as perhaps it should. If the clamps inside the hob casing are like this......? I dunno. Frankly, getting very disheartened.... Hoping for some enlightenment tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment