Monday 25 January 2016

Beginning to Bolt On the Bits.

...and there are a lot of bits to bolt.

The arrival of the new brake pads coincided with the warmer weather, so getting ouside again was quite pleasant. The temperature today is more like late Spring (for Moray, anyway) than mid-winter. Crazy times.

The brake pads didn't really need to be replaced having only been used for 9000 miles, but they're not exactly expensive so I swapped them anyway. While the back end was off the ground I greased the prop shaft joints, anointing myself in the process with several gobs of hi-speed grease. With a little air to bleed from the gun and struggling for room while on my back underneath, I opened the bleed screw and the air inside released with a crack, together with a jet of yellow gunk. It could've gone anywhere, but chose my right eye instead.... ho hum.

I remade the side panniers earlier, so these went back on.


 These were made up from some scrap metal fencing, a couple of strap hinges and over-centre catches which can be locked. They're suspended from brackets that clamp around the roof gutters.The front one is slightly larger and holds a NATO plastic water can and the rear cage holds a jerrycan. To save our backs the diesel can be siphoned out so there's no need to ever take the can out of the rack.


The ratchet straps are there to stop them moving about and bashing the window grilles. Both the grilles and the panniers were a project to practice my emerging welding skills. The fencing panels were galvanised....and I learnt another lesson! At least they won't rust. The window grilles were made from a discarded bed base which just happened to be exactly the right size once cut in two. There are 4 skips at the back of my work place which get regular visits....

We need to get the tent back on the roof soon, but I need to work out a better way of securing the travel cover. The useless plastic zip broke the first time we used it last year and we made do with bungees to hold it on. It'll be a simple fix to make it prettier, but once it's out of storage it'll take up most of the garage, which I can't afford at the moment. Then there's the awning, the recovery kit, all the kitchen stuff - which Sue will no doubt want to rearrange AGAIN, spares box, oils....well, you get the picture.


1 comment:

  1. Hi, looks as if you have it sorted, good luck and have fun. Not like going away in my Florence when they have put her back together. Have to get some tips! Matthew

    ReplyDelete